GENERAL > BIKE TALK

THE BASICS:

<< < (3/3)

bignasty:
it is my understanding from what I was taught (way back when) You should start off using both brakes to maximise the breaking of both wheels and increase the rate of transfer of weight to the front wheel. As the weight is transfered you should be using less rear break and more front break. Doing this in a stressful situationis difficult but if you practice your breaking often in a safe envirionment then when you need to do it you will be able to do it.
I however do not press much rear break in a corner since I dont want to get anywhere near the point of breaking the back tire loose.

Kirk:
That's a nice theory, but this transfer of weight occurs in a fraction of a second, fueled by the adrenaline of suddenly being faced with a life-and-death situation.  The reality of it is, that I've never seen anyone able to successfully do what you're talking about, but I've seen many examples of people who have died trying. 

Anybody that I've ever encountered on the street that thinks that they can stop faster with both brakes, has no idea what maximum braking is.  That's why the vast majority of living Hayabusa riders have never noticed how horribly under-sprung the front end of the Hayabusa is, as delivered from Suzuki- they're not really braking that hard. 

One of the reasons I recommend a trackday is because there is no place else where you can safely practice maximum braking.  Those who haven't done a track day, have probably NEVER practiced maximum braking.  The first time they try to learn maximum braking, may be in the last instant of their life.

Sinister_Outlaw:
"Ernest Hemmingway said that there are only three sports: Bull fighting, mountain climbing, and motor sports- the rest are merely games.  His point was, that it's not a sport if it can't kill you".

Well said!  :tu:

Joseph69:
Excellent advice for everyone out there !!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version