MEMBERS > MEMBER PROJECTS

Just another try to build a low cost diy turbo busa

<< < (3/11) > >>

mysticblu999:
Looks like you are doing great. You got the turbo high. Your welding looks great. How bout those pics of the GF? :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

fooorumi:

--- Quote from: Pete on September 05, 2012, 11:38:25 AM ---Nothing wrong with using that bulkhead fitting - that's what they are made for.

You did well to get that big turbo high enough to gravity-drain :thumb:

That coating isn't cheap - £80 for les than half a pint! Did you use the whole pot on your headers?

--- End quote ---

To be accurate it was 80 euros which equals 63 £ or 100 USD at the moment. But since my header is not RST some coating is needed and I think the price isn't that bad. Actually the coating's cost was the same as header material's (15 pcs of 90 degree curves and a piece of straight pipe). Also if I remember right I only used half of the bottle so I can sell the rest  8)

exhaust manifold monster - header before assembling

--- Quote from: mysticblu999 on September 05, 2012, 11:54:47 AM ---Looks like you are doing great. You got the turbo high. Your welding looks great. How bout those pics of the GF? :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

--- End quote ---

It is autumn coming and soon there's no use for bikinis but let's see what I can do  :)

Lumpasaurus:
Great project.  Always like it more when people build it instead of buying it. You going to make an intercooled plenum next?  Very nice work. 

fooorumi:
Air/water intercooler / plenum:

I began with the intercooler by taking measures of the space available and then I bought the biggest core I thought would fit into it. Because of the high price of sparco etc. cores I decided to try china cooler and ordered one from Ebay.

The first thing was to cut intercooler inlet and outlet away to save space. I left there half inch lip before the core to protect it while welding.

The next step was to figure out plenum shape. Because of the core size and limited space under the tank I didn't come up with too many ideas how to do it. I then used cardboard and duct tape to test if my design fits under the tank. One big problem was that the tank gets quickly narrow at front and IC-core is pretty wide. Actually I had to form the tank a little bit with a hammer and put small spacers under the tank bolts.

This isn't really necessary but then I made a 3D-model of the plenum / IC to get sheet metal drawings for parts that fit perfectly. Then accord to drawings I built a cardboard model of the plenum and double-checked that everything fits well.

I also designed new injector bungs to get injectors as low as possible cause there is very little space under the tank (measures in millimeters..)

Here are some new billet parts I subcontracted according to my drawings as I don't have a lathe or any other machinery currently.

and here are some water cut sheet metal aluminium parts for the plenum.

Even tho not the original idea I had to cut one of the edges as it would have been hard to angle otherwise.

Here is the welded plenum. As I'm lazy in some things I don't have motivation to polish it up as it will stay under the tank  :)

At rear there's place for engine temp sensor and MAP-sensor (McXpress-controller for extra injectors)

It begins to be pretty packed under the tank  :) Bosch IC-pump is behind cyl 2 and aeromotive fuel pressure regulator under the original fuel rail. I don't know if there's any affect in keeping fuel cool and constant temperature but I wrapped fuel lines with aluminium foil and hold it in place by plastic wire holder.

My first idea was to cool intercooler water by radiator located at the rear frame but I wasn't sure if it will be efficient enough so I bought a second-hand hayabusa radiator which I cut in half to fit it in front of the bike.

IC-radiator coming together

And here's some plumbing!! Everything except the filter fits inside the fairings. I also insulated the up-pipe to help keep charge air cool. In case you're wondering bout wastegate signal line there's a solenoid valve between to control boost electrically. This way boost rise can be controlled by RPM's and power delivery is smooth

Not a bikini pic but here you are the GF finally, cutting my electricity  :mrgreen:

Lumpasaurus:
Super bad ass job on the plenum.   Love the injector bungs.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version