GENERAL > MAXIMUM OVERDRIVE

Fatalities in LSR

<< < (2/67) > >>

scott g:
Jerry Wayne Lyons.

RIP

http://obits.dignitymemorial.com/dignity-memorial/obituary.aspx?n=Jerry-Lyons&lc=2591&pid=160774905&mid=5292661&locale=en-US

From the Texas Mile web site:

134.8 MPH  137.2 MPH  Jerry Lyons  Third Coast Speed  Third Coast Speed  2433  10/27/12  8:25:43 AM  Motorcycle  2006  Harley-Davidson  VRSCSE Screamin Eagle V-Rod  Orange  V Twin motor/ Modified   Sport Bike   USA (American Iron)  Naturally Aspirated  2 Cylinders  1200cc to 1349cc  Gasoline  NO Nitrous  NO Methanol Injection 

So: a heavy, slow motorcycle...........

Slower trap speed than
any other fatality.

zrxdean:

--- Quote from: RansomT on November 08, 2012, 08:46:59 AM ---
Thoughts?

--- End quote ---

If the number of land speed racing entries was plotted over the last 10 years, I'd bet there'd be a steep rise in the last 5 years relative to the 50 years prior. Including myself. Especially for standing mile events. Doesn't explain Cliff Gullet or Dave Owen, but it may have something to do with the losses at ECTA and Texas this year. But, as Joe says, we need better data.

Got-Busa?:

--- Quote from: joea on November 08, 2012, 12:59:27 PM ---if that is the goal, it might behove folks to consider motorcyce lsr mishaps and mechanisms of the accident somewhat
together,.....it might be smart to look at as much data as possible...

its somewhat amusing to me that "I don't have all the facts but I think Bonneville can't be compared with any other event"...

is mentioned here when most have no problem trying to group speed comparisons when the conditions regarding the venues have many differing variables, not only surface, but maintaining speed for 5280 ft timing trap (traditional world record requirement) vs 132 ft is quite different, , yet  im curious why if comparing those, folks dont also garner all the runs from 1/4 mile track trap speeds over200 mph as well..?....ie FIM/SCTA have a timing trap 40 times longer than that of 1 and 1.5 mile venues, yet many of the 200 + lists dont include 1/4 trap speeds that are only 2 times shorter than 1 and 1.5 venues ....more fodder...:)

--- End quote ---

That's just my opinion but I don't compare any of them personally unless we are just talking max speed...over a cold beverage...

IMO, I just don't see how you can.  Bonneville is another animal when talking 1-1.5mile paved events.  I don't consider 1/4-mile against either because of the track prep and conditions alone.  Until you get a 5-8 mile paved track with VHT prep from one end to the other I don't see how you can...  Not to mention most bikes running over 200mph in the 1/4 are on 1-wheel for a large portion if not all of the track length...

As far as the incidents, how many did the rider leave the course (paved surface)?  I don't think it's just what's causing people to crash but what happens after they go down.  It would be one thing if all incidents were blow tires or some other mechanical failure but they aren't.  Is it rider error, track, weather conditions, etc...what?

FlaminRoo:

--- Quote from: RansomT on November 08, 2012, 08:46:59 AM ---
As Scott stated, there has been 5 fatalities in LSR since 2008 with no fatalities 50 years prior.  While actual speeds involved have not changed, something else has.

"no fatalities 50 years prior,, while actual speeds involved have not changed, something else has,??,,"
          the venues that we run at, before all the short tarmac venues we only ever ran max speeds at Bonneville where you have plenty of time to reach max velocity, however the shorter tracks drastically limits the time one has to reach these velocitys, then, you are under pressure to get it all stopped saftly,,
--- End quote ---

scott g:
It is always the saddest day when we lose
one of our own in Land Speed Racing.

From the start of motorcycle land speed racing
at Bonneville in the 1950's, until August of 2008,
LSR for motorcycles did not lose a single on-track
competitor in an sanctioned event;
a period of more than 50 years.

NO fatalities at Bonneville, El mirage, Maxton.

In August of 2008, likable Cliff Gullett died at Bonneville,
and then in September, Dave Owen died at Maxton. 

Within a few years, two more ECTA competitors
had lost their lives in ECTA events.

And now Jerry........

Five fine young men in 5 years,
after more than 50 "safe" years.

Something has changed.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version