Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: 2000 busa makes noise  (Read 4615 times)

Offline Woggy101

• Apprentice Post Whore
  • Enthusiast
2000 busa makes noise
« on: November 22, 2012, 02:22:31 AM »
I bought a 2000 busa that sat for 3 years. After cleaning the tank, replacing the fuel pump and changing the oil & filter, she starts right up. However, they is a clanking noise coming from somwhere. The stator cover was pulled off and all looks good. When the clutch cover was pulled off, there was a creamy color oil inside the cover and housing. The fluid was wiped out and the cover replaced. New oil added. Now, the noise is still there but does not seem as loud but, still does not sound right. Not sure if the previous owner use synthetic oil in it or not. Note: when the oil was drained, no creamy color fluid came out - just what was inside the clutch housing. What should I do or what might the noise be? Should I change the oil again, should I use a oil treatment and then drain it and refill, or what??? Another note, the bike does not seem to have any "miss" nor does it smoke or anything. I have not put her on the street as I am afraid of doing damage to the motor. I have put her in gear and POWER BRAKED her to put a "load on her and seems to still run fine - just with the noise.

Please help... I sure want to put her on the street where she belongs!

Thanks.

One final note: I will be happy to take a video with sound if anyone believes that may help figure out the noise. Just give me your email and I will send the video to you.

Offline knecum

• Mad Post Whore
  • The Recipe!
    • www.knecumpower.com
Re: 2000 busa makes noise
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2012, 09:53:39 AM »
creamy stuff is probably condensation..if not in the oil. The noise most likely is the cam chain.. Is it doing it while running or just cranking? If cranking its the starter clutch. How many miles are on it?  Does it have the old style tensioner? You can tell by it not  having a oil hose on it.. There was a recall on those old ones... Take a few pics of the tensioner next to the throttle body.. right side of the engine..sitting on the bike ..

Offline Nosgsx1300

• Mad Post Whore
  • RCC GT4088R WHOOOT
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2012, 07:17:02 AM »
I bought a 2000 busa that sat for 3 years. After cleaning the tank, replacing the fuel pump and changing the oil & filter, she starts right up. However, they is a clanking noise coming from somwhere. The stator cover was pulled off and all looks good. When the clutch cover was pulled off, there was a creamy color oil inside the cover and housing. The fluid was wiped out and the cover replaced. New oil added. Now, the noise is still there but does not seem as loud but, still does not sound right. Not sure if the previous owner use synthetic oil in it or not. Note: when the oil was drained, no creamy color fluid came out - just what was inside the clutch housing. What should I do or what might the noise be? Should I change the oil again, should I use a oil treatment and then drain it and refill, or what??? Another note, the bike does not seem to have any "miss" nor does it smoke or anything. I have not put her on the street as I am afraid of doing damage to the motor. I have put her in gear and POWER BRAKED her to put a "load on her and seems to still run fine - just with the noise.

Please help... I sure want to put her on the street where she belongs!

Thanks.

One final note: I will be happy to take a video with sound if anyone believes that may help figure out the noise. Just give me your email and I will send the video to you.
of course a video of the sound might help LOL :thumb:
RCC GT4088R
2011 Loring 204.88mph "naked"
2015 Loring 220.01743 MPH Faired in fifth gear

Offline BATTMAN

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2012, 08:16:33 AM »
drop the pan and check it

Offline Woggy101

• Apprentice Post Whore
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2012, 03:10:19 PM »
Before I get in to the possible "spun bearing", I was told that I should check the counterbalance and that it can be adjusted on a 2000 busa. Can anyone tell me location and how to adjust? My manual is on my other computer and no access to it for awhile. Thanks.

Offline STUNNAH

• Post Master
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2012, 05:17:33 PM »
I hope you got a good deal on the bike but it sounds like you need motor work...If it's a tapping/ticking sound that's constant and gets faster/louder as you turn the throttle it's inside the motor...Tell us more about the sound or post a video with sound or take it to a shop or take it back where you got it from...
Getting "Blown" is a hell-of-a drug...STUNNAH...

Offline knecum

• Mad Post Whore
  • The Recipe!
    • www.knecumpower.com
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2012, 07:14:37 PM »
If your the one that sent me the vid? you spun a bearing and thats all there is to it.. your balancer is not the problem..