Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Mounting a used swingarm on my new tube chassis, but how?  (Read 3149 times)

Offline Triker

• New User!
  • Enthusiast
Mounting a used swingarm on my new tube chassis, but how?
« on: August 10, 2013, 11:00:06 PM »
I am disabled due to an accident and cannot ride in the usual vertical position any longer. So I am building a recumbent trike for myself. It will be fitted for my exact measurements.

I have already completed the bottom half of the new tube frame but I found that mounting the swing-arm is not an easy thing to do..(I am working from back to front). I've gone through the entire removal and re-installation of a stock swing arm in the factory manual and have figured out that it is not as easy as I thought it might be.

Anybody ever make a custom swing-arm mount? It seems like I'll need to cut and then thread a piece of tubing (And then weld it onto the tubing of my new frame), so I can screw the pivot bolt into the frame in the same manner as the stock frame.

Does that sound like I am headed in the right direction? I am going to measure the diameter and thread pitch of the pivot bolt so I can make a piece and weld it onto the new tube frame. This will be bored to the proper inside and outside diameter and length so the left side nut also fits and can be torqued to the proper spec.

I know I can do it IF I am going in the right direction. Does this sound like I am going about it correctly?

Thanks a bunch in advance.

Greg