Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Ticking Sound - WT.....?  (Read 10975 times)

Offline jjckflsh

• Rider
  • Where am I?
Ticking Sound - WT.....?
« on: September 04, 2013, 07:50:12 PM »
I have 2004 turbo busa.  Got my bike back from tuner and I am having a fairly loud ticking sound.

The sound is louder under load. 

The sound is rhythmic, it varies with RPM

The sound is drowned out at higher RPMs.

Engine starts normally.

Engine Idle is normal with slight small changes every so often.  Seems normal?

No fluid leaks.

Power is normal through out power range.

I have:

Removed the exhaust, inspected the head gaskets no leaks, inspected the turbo gaskets no leaks.

Inspected the pair valve covers no indication of leaks, bolts properly torqued, no loose bolts. Using Aluminum block off plates.

Inspected tapped clearance, all valves within spec.  One intake valve at end on close limit 0.004.

Inspected all vacuum lines all secure and not leaking.

Oil inspected and checks normal quantity and clarity.   No anti freeze or metal in oil.

No head gasket leaks.

I believe that the sound is coming from the top end but I can't be sure.

My Thoughts?:

Because it is a rhythmic sound like it maybe it is a single cylinder.
It doesn't seem to be affecting power yet.
I've looked through the web board and looking for some addition input.

Any thoughts?  I am so frustrated with this.  I don't want to ride with this, in case this could become catastrophic.

Thanks in advance-

Jack

« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 04:07:08 PM by jjckflsh »

Offline Rocketgeezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
Re: Ticking Sound - WT.....?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2013, 08:27:31 PM »
I have 2004 turbo busa.  Got my bike back from tuner and I am having a fairly loud ticking sound.

The sound is louder under load. 

The sound is rhythmic not varying.

The sound is drowned out at higher RPMs.

Engine starts normally.

Engine Idle is normal with slight small changes every so often.  Seems normal?

No fluid leaks.

Power is normal through out power range.

I have:

Removed the exhaust, inspected the head gaskets no leaks, inspected the turbo gaskets no leaks.

Inspected the pair valve covers no indication of leaks, bolts properly torqued, no loose bolts. Using Aluminum block off plates.

Inspected tapped clearance, all valves within spec.  One intake valve at end on close limit 0.004.

Inspected all vacuum lines all secure and not leaking.

Oil inspected and checks normal quantity and clarity.   No anti freeze in oil.

No head gasket leaks.

I believe that the sound is coming from the top end but I can't be sure.

My Thoughts?:

Because it is a rhythmic sound like it maybe it is a single cylinder.
It doesn't seem to be affecting power yet.
I've looked through the web board and looking for some addition input.

Any thoughts?  I am so frustrated with this.  I don't want to ride with this, in case this could become catastrophic.

Thanks in advance-

Jack
You said this noise was not there before the dyno time? and it was there when you got the bike back, what did the dyno guy say about it?.......I honestly would not ride the bike till you get it checked out by a pro that Knows bike motors, car engine noises and motorcycle engine noises are quite different, and it may be the same thing causing the noise, I say do not ride it cause if it is something bad such as a rod or wrist pin breakage could cause some bad engine damage, you have done all the easy cks, one thing you could do is get a super clean drain pan and drain the engine oil and see if you have any metal particles in it, if you see much of anything you defiantly have something tearing up and should not run the motor till its looked at, if its as loud as you say somethings got to be going on in there, and should be easy enough to find, I looked back you see that you did ck the oil condition, a rod bearing is going to spit particles, but a loose wrist pin may not, the valve clearance checked OK so in the top end that leaves the timing chain or its tensioner,
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 08:35:51 PM by Rocketgeezer »
The older you get do you notice you start chickening out way before the bike does

Offline sportbikeryder

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2013, 08:39:15 PM »
Rhythmic, not varying doesn't make any sense. Should be varying with RPM if it is engine related unless it is something like the cooling fan hitting something...

Was the cam timing adjusted or anything one with the valvetrain / timing chain, tensioner, etc?
Any day on a motorcycle like this that ends just needing parts and labor is a good day.
4.82, 158.67mph 1/8th mile 7.350, 200.32mph 1/4 mile Riding

4.392, 176.79mph 1/8th mile  6.610, 228.15mph 1/4 mile Tuning

Offline jjckflsh

• Rider
  • Where am I?
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2013, 10:43:29 PM »
I'm sorry, I tried to keep this as accurate as possible.  The tuner had suggested was an exhaust leak.   ticking sound is rhythmic and varies with RPM.   The rhythm increases and decreases with RPM.  The oil is basically clean,  no particles, just the basic little gunk.  No adjustment to cam or tensioner.  The one valve is at the limit of closeness tolerance.  Could that be the issue?  Is there any other symptoms of a bad wrist pin or cam chain?
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 04:11:10 PM by jjckflsh »

Offline slaki

• Rider
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2013, 06:06:07 AM »
How many miles on the bike? Did you check cam chain?

Offline TT

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Master
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2013, 09:54:00 AM »
back in 2005 i had my 99 with a ghetto kit at the time dynoed and when it came off the dyno there was a ticking in the engine,   the ticking was one of the top of the piston at the weakest spot had broken off   it detonated on the dyno, 
alcohol is the cause and solution to all my problem,s

it burn,s when i pee

tattoos and harley,s  both image enhancers

Offline Rocketgeezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2013, 05:10:18 PM »
back in 2005 i had my 99 with a ghetto kit at the time dynoed and when it came off the dyno there was a ticking in the engine,   the ticking was one of the top of the piston at the weakest spot had broken off   it detonated on the dyno,
This is just what I'm talking about it tough to tell where a noise is coming from, also why I said do not ride till its checked out
The older you get do you notice you start chickening out way before the bike does

Offline TT

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Master
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2013, 06:17:39 PM »
This is just what I'm talking about it tough to tell where a noise is coming from, also why I said do not ride till its checked out
when this happened to my bike back in 05 i didnt think it was any thing serious and i kept riding the bike, the piece that broke off the piston bent one of the valves just a little till one day the valve broke off and took every thing in that cylinder with it, i ended up having to replace the cyl block, the head and piston, and all other related part,s  it was serious $$$$$$

it burn,s when i pee

Offline jjckflsh

• Rider
  • Where am I?
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2013, 07:48:21 PM »
Bike has about 18000 miles on it.  Should the cam chain have any play at all?  I'm not riding it till I get this figured out.  I'm trying to think of a way to isolate the sound. Any ideas?  I tried using a tube but its just too noisy.  If major pieces of the engine were broken IE: Valves, Pistons, Cam Chains etc. wouldn't show up in erratic idle or power loss?

Offline Rocketgeezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2013, 10:45:03 AM »
Bike has about 18000 miles on it.  Should the cam chain have any play at all?  I'm not riding it till I get this figured out.  I'm trying to think of a way to isolate the sound. Any ideas?  I tried using a tube but its just too noisy.  If major pieces of the engine were broken IE: Valves, Pistons, Cam Chains etc. wouldn't show up in erratic idle or power loss?
At 18000 the cam chain should still look like new, besides its got a auto tensioner and they very rarely are bad, you can try pulling plug coil connectors to shut off one cly at a time, this would isolate it to that cly, as TT said nicking a piston while on the dyno is definatly possible, stock pistons are not that tolerant to detonation, it could also be a wrist pin loose, unlikely but possible, and the worst case you could have a rod bearing damaged, this most likely would have shown metal particals in the oil, even though its only for a few seconds when you go wide open on a dyno things can get hurt, on the other hand, your tuner could be right and it be just a exhaust gasket, but I have had exhaust gasket leaks and for some reason it needs to be a real bad leak to hear it, it may cost a bit to get a pro to give it a good going over, but its cheaper than a motor if something serious is bad

Offline TT

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Master
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2013, 01:12:58 PM »
when i broke the top of my piston on the dyno the bike still ran good at idle and at full boost until it completely  let go a few weeks later

it burn,s when i pee

Offline Rocketgeezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2013, 02:14:26 PM »
when i broke the top of my piston on the dyno the bike still ran good at idle and at full boost until it completely  let go a few weeks later
I assume you had stock pistons? what most likely happened was when run on the dyno it leaned out just enough to melt the thin area by the valve pocket, a small chip of ring land came out, then the more you road it the worse it got till a big chunk of ring land came off, its possible to make big power with stock pistons but they are real unforgiving, if you get even a little detonation they start to come apart, not sure whats going on with Jacks bike but generaly if it starts making a noise after having the piss run out of it on a dyno it cant be good

Offline TT

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Master
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2013, 07:26:21 PM »
well whats the verdict?????

it burn,s when i pee

Offline jjckflsh

• Rider
  • Where am I?
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2013, 06:09:25 PM »
Status Update:

Well this is were I am at.  I have taken off the exhaust and turbo checked for any leaks.  Installed all new gaskets and used copper gasket maker.  Took off the Pair valve covers and tapped the holes and installed bolts.  Pulled down the oil pan and checked for particles.  Found no particles only the typical sludge from the clutch.  Did a valve tappet check.  Only one valve was at the very limit of specs but still within published limits. The tapping sound is still there. The tapping sound seems to be louder when the engine is pulling. Should I try shimming the one valve that is at limit? Any other ideas? I am totally perplexed over this problem.

Thanks,

Jack

Offline STUNNAH

• Post Master
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2013, 06:44:17 PM »
I had the same ticking sound awhile back...Wanted to think the same as you...I was praying for an exhaust leak...It had dropped a valve...End of my story...
Getting "Blown" is a hell-of-a drug...STUNNAH...

Offline BATTMAN

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2013, 07:14:05 PM »
Use a bamboo stick on the valve cover.  If you dont know what Im talking about, ask an old mechanic about the bamboo stick

Offline STUNNAH

• Post Master
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2013, 07:17:14 PM »
Use a bamboo stick on the valve cover.  If you dont know what Im talking about, ask an old mechanic about the bamboo stick
Go ahead and explain...I have no idea and no access to an old mechanic...
Getting "Blown" is a hell-of-a drug...STUNNAH...

Offline TT

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Master
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2013, 11:51:12 AM »
I had the same ticking sound awhile back...Wanted to think the same as you...I was praying for an exhaust leak...It had dropped a valve...End of my story...
thats exactly what happened to mine
i would pull the head and take a look, you will save alot of $$ if you do, cuz if it lets go and takes other stuff with it then youll need the bigger check book

it burn,s when i pee

Offline jjckflsh

• Rider
  • Where am I?
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2013, 01:54:28 PM »
WELL FOLKS,

THANK YOU< THANK YOU< THANK YOU!

I found that 2 pistons were damaged.  They let go between the top ring and piston dome.  That's the bad news.  The good news is that for once in my life  I LISTEN TO WHAT PEOPLE WERE SAYING AND DIDN'T TRASH MY ENGINE!  Thank all of you for your input!  Now, I just need to decide what to do. 

Thanks for all you help!

Jack  :D

Offline Rocketgeezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2013, 08:54:38 PM »
WELL FOLKS,

THANK YOU< THANK YOU< THANK YOU!

I found that 2 pistons were damaged.  They let go between the top ring and piston dome.  That's the bad news.  The good news is that for once in my life  I LISTEN TO WHAT PEOPLE WERE SAYING AND DIDN'T TRASH MY ENGINE!  Thank all of you for your input!  Now, I just need to decide what to do. 

Thanks for all you help!

Jack  :D
That's good news Jack, are you running stock pistons? if so I have a good set and a cly block in cherry shape.....................Dave

Offline Rocketgeezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2013, 09:01:33 PM »
And I guess you realize that it was most likely detonation that caused it, so when you get it back together better get it on a dyno with a operator that knows turbo bikes and not think the do, if they cooked it on he dyno ether there A/F read was off, there equipment was off, or they had there head jammed all the way up