Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: New to the site and looking for answers. My 08 Busa has starting issues  (Read 4090 times)

Offline mc8089

• New User!
  • I don't understand 4 wheels
Hello all and nice site  :)

Ok, I'm new to forums so I'm trying to learn how to use and understand the forum :)

I have an issue with my bike and I am hoping that someone might know the answer... When I start the bike up it starts fine, no drag or anything.. Just starts right up.. But after riding the bike for 15 miles or more it does not want to start.. It will drag the starter.. I have to let it sit for 15 or 20 minutes then it generally starts right up and if I turn it off... The same thing..

I've had 2 new batteries put in it and still the same thing.. It just seems strange to me that as long as it sits for a bit everything is fine again?

Any information would be greatly appreciated

Offline slaki

• Rider
Hi and welcome to the site.

Just a very simple and stupid question which might point you in the right direction, but have you tried looking at the charging voltage? When your bike is running, switch the high beam on and hold the bike on 6000 Rpm. Now get someone to measure the voltage on the battery.

Might be a rectifier or regulator issue.

Offline mc8089

• New User!
Thanks for the info but I have taken the bike to the local shop and they are fairly competent mechanically.. They checked the regulator and stator, said they were both fine... But the test was just a simple hook up a volt meter test... They have always treated me fair so "I fell" the regulator is good and thanks for taking the time to respond...

Offline MJ Williams

• Post Whore
As odd as it seems the mounting bolts came loose on my starter and it wouldn't get a good ground so it would drag and turn slow. Took the starter out cleaned it up and reinstalled the bolts, no problem.
Check to make sure your cables are tight and clean everywhere.
Just a couple cheap and easy things to look at.
Have a Harley, spent lots of money on it, thought I had a fast motorcycle, bought a Busa, realized all I had was a fast Harley, not a fast motorcycle!

Offline mc8089

• New User!
I never really thought of that and thanks for the info bro :) I'll have to take a look at that and see if it might be the issue.. Thank you for taking the time to reply...