Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: gen1 electrics question  (Read 4837 times)

Offline ttooddddyy

• Apprentice Post Whore
  • Enthusiast
gen1 electrics question
« on: June 20, 2015, 07:34:27 AM »
Bike died int the ass. No electrics, strange thing is fuel guage is now showing over full and temp at half even with the battery disconnected. Any ideas, only happened today so not had a chance to trouble shoot. Battery and fuses are ok.  Any ideas ?
the bike behind noticed someflickering on the tail light so could have been an intermittent loose wire or short. The guages stuck where they are worries me.

Offline dadofthree

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Master
Re: gen1 electrics question
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2015, 01:31:05 PM »
Sounds like a ground issue, check the negative battery cable at both ends. Make sure it's clean and tight

Offline TT

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Master
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2015, 03:36:37 PM »
Bike died int the ass. No electrics, strange thing is fuel guage is now showing over full and temp at half even with the battery disconnected. Any ideas, only happened today so not had a chance to trouble shoot. Battery and fuses are ok.  Any ideas ?
the bike behind noticed someflickering on the tail light so could have been an intermittent loose wire or short. The guages stuck where they are worries me.
what year is it? gen1 or gen2?     how many miles on it?
alcohol is the cause and solution to all my problem,s

it burn,s when i pee

tattoos and harley,s  both image enhancers

Offline ttooddddyy

• Apprentice Post Whore
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2015, 04:26:46 PM »
Its a 2001 model with about 20k miles.

chassis is connected to battery negative terminal. So grounding of negative seems ok.

what really confuses me is how the analogue  gauges have stuck where they have, almost as if the pointers were doing the sweep as they do at switch on and then stalled. Is there some memory going on in the instrument custer.

am i missing a fuse, found the fuse box under the LHS front of the tank they are ok,as is the 30 amp one under the seat, looks like that may be for the starter motor ? Are there any other fuses to check.

Offline Oz Booster

• Site Donor
  • Mad Post Whore
  • aka Maj T
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2015, 05:04:23 PM »
chassis or engine gnd is realy only for the starter motor , rest of the electrics use a return wire , black with white stripe, and that has a blade terminal near the battery gnd that should be checked if you suspect connection problems 
Official Site Donor

Offline Stainless1

• Rider
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2015, 09:42:09 AM »
Well it is time for a better description than

So does the starter spin the motor?
How do you know the battery is OK?
The gauges are stepper motors so they can stop anywhere based on where they were when power was removed.  I would track the wires to the ECU, pull the ECU plugs... are they clean inside?  Post a little more info if you want help or just take it to the shop and let them sort it for you.  :eek:
Bonneville 200 MPH Club
245 MPH Turbo Busa Powered Lakester
208.959 MPH NA GSXR 1000