Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Hayabusa Rebuild: Engine Chattering  (Read 6288 times)

Offline HayabusaRider12

• Apprentice Post Whore
  • Enthusiast
Hayabusa Rebuild: Engine Chattering
« on: March 14, 2019, 01:14:59 AM »
Hello! So I just finished completely rebuilding an 06 Hayabusa engine due to a cracked engine case (previous owner actual 😂). I went through and pretty much took everything from old case and put it right into new case. Today I started it up and I’m getting a really nasty sounding chattering/heavy vibrating sound. It sounds like a jack hammer would and I couldn’t quite pin exactly where the sound was coming from since I didn’t wanna keep the bike on too long.

Things I’ve checked:
-Ensured bearings were installed right and were the correct ones for the new case
-all connections electrical and hardware on the outside of the engine

Would the balancer make that much sound?
I’ll be checking timing, but I’m positive I got the timing good. I had back up check me on that one 😂
Someone said the cam tensioner could be defective? I tested it prior to installation and it seemed good.

Any help/opinions/advice is appreciated.

Offline Stainless1

• Rider
Re: Hayabusa Rebuild: Engine Chattering
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2019, 10:17:39 AM »
The only thing you can do is take it back apart and figure out what you did wrong during assembly.  It cannot  clatter or make nasty sounds with damaging something vital. 
As soon as you find damage, it will tell you what went wrong.  Make sure nothing else is damaged by complete disassembly and inspection....
Good luck with your rebuild
Bonneville 200 MPH Club
245 MPH Turbo Busa Powered Lakester
208.959 MPH NA GSXR 1000

Offline Daveeed

• Rider
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2019, 01:45:51 PM »
My first hunch would be cam chain tension, although that sound would be more of a chattering, clunky as the cams rotate.
If your running big ass cams, possibly a cam lobe is tapping a cam cover, or you could be tapping the brass? oil line that goes between the intake and exhaust above cyl 1. I have seen those tap the top of cams even with .395 intake cams.
Also consider if all the bearing set rings have been correctly placed, if the set rings were not correctly placed the cams or gear shafts could slide far enough to make a lot of noise.

Consider removing the plugs, put it in neutral,  and slowly rotating the crank to determine if there is any binding within the rotation.
Next, with the plugs removed, and the bike jacked up on a rear stand, consider rotating the engine while in various gears to see if it's in the back half of the engine.

Good luck !!
Dave
Tonsil Cancer Survivor: (HPV-16... go figure)
I race to make my soul smile, not to dismantle yours
Mojave Mile: 207 mph
Mojave Magnum: 209 mph
Bonneville: 200.5 mph
Bub RWB: 194.5 mph (Unacclaimed Champion!)
1397/JE13.5-1/Ward head/Web 415-395
Tuner: Fireman Jim @ JT&S Performance, Sonoma

Offline HayabusaRider12

• Apprentice Post Whore
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2019, 08:26:35 PM »
Thanks both of you for the ideas! I’m really deliberate so I’m just trying to check all my bases before I start ripping things out. I work alone on the bike in a one car garage... that has a car parked in it so I’m just trying to get ideas before I one man band the engine out of it... again (she’s heavy!)
Anyways. I’ll check the cam tensioner and see if that could be the issue. I might call it clunky. Once I get a moment I’ll pull open the tank and dive in.
I’m running bonestock everything in the engine. It’s either stock or new direct replacements.
I’ll throw it up on a stand too and see if I can hear/feel anything. Thanks for the advice!

Offline HayabusaRider12

• Apprentice Post Whore
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2019, 02:42:05 AM »
Update: when I rotate the crank it is smooth and uniform until I hit a tighter spot that I have to push extra hard to get  past. Is that normal? 😂

Offline Oz Booster

• Site Donor
  • Mad Post Whore
  • aka Maj T
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2019, 06:10:58 AM »
No
probably contacting valves
Official Site Donor

Offline HayabusaRider12

• Apprentice Post Whore
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2019, 11:01:25 AM »
Alright so thats something to go off of. I’ll look into that. How does that happen? I didn’t take apart anything on the cylinder head itself. I just cleaned as much as I could and stuck it back on. Same crank and pistons went back in as well. Thanks again for the help. It’s seriously appreciated.

Offline Oz Booster

• Site Donor
  • Mad Post Whore
  • aka Maj T
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2019, 01:43:02 PM »
zip tie the cam gears to the chain on assembly ? , i expect your timing is wrong
Official Site Donor

Offline GSXRTURBO1

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Master
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2019, 02:23:00 PM »
definitely sounds like a cam timing issue
Thomas

Offline HayabusaRider12

• Apprentice Post Whore
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2019, 06:26:25 PM »
Yeah I zip tied them on when I set them.. I’ll be checking it shortly! Possible it could have shifted somehow. I’ll keep you all updated. Thanks for the help everyone!

Offline turbojonn

• OFF TOPIC
  • Mad Post Whore
  • Friends don't let friends use boost.
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2019, 10:55:44 PM »
If your timing is off reset it and then check compression. Bent valves are a possibility.
RCC turbos rock!!! Rcc- Ultra plenum, case saver, Carillo rods, Wossner pistons, APE springs/tool steel shift shafts, Ferrara valves, ARP studs, lightened and balanced crank, Boostbysmith ecu editor, AMS 1000 with CO2, 475 hp. Mac arm 0-6 over, BST carbon fiber rims. Someday I'm goin' fast!