Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Raising the rear  (Read 2697 times)

Offline Vex 918

• Apprentice Post Whore
  • Enthusiast
Raising the rear
« on: January 19, 2021, 09:13:31 AM »
Hi Guys.. had the busy for a couple of months now and the mods for distance work have been done  :fiddy:Staying in sunny Scotland there are plenty of twisties. I am looking to raise the rear to get a sharper turn in. Question is how high do I go with out loosing stability... Cheers guys :rockwoot: :rockwoot: :teasing9ip:

Offline Twisted

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Apocalyptic Whore
Re: Raising the rear
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2021, 11:29:42 PM »
I wouldn't go much higher than like 8-10mm? lest mechanically, definitely no more than an inch for me anyways...

how are you wanting to achieve this rear ride height lift?

if the shock is not sprung for your weight the proper shock might help?

if not dog bones and or an adjustable ride height shock is all I really know of mechanically?

had the same issue with mine and I always reverted to using a 180 rear tire with a high profile like a 180/75 felt like I got around 3/4" with a 180/75 whatever over the stock 200/65 set and it was sharp as a scalpel, always went with a complimentary front tire with a lower profile like a 110/60 or 55 .. if ya can find one, matching of course, nice rounded profile steering is very stable, grounded and sharp, steered in very quick this way, out not as quick but very workable..... Dragons mostly, DOT

always loved brand new 180/110 set for this reason, the flat spots make for dogged turn in for my style..

ground down side panels with that set up in the past..  you can drop the nose by like 8mm letting the forks up all the way till they hit the top clamp plate, if you're at stock setting, spring forks for weight if possible...

also you might look and see if you can remove 2 links to shove that rear tire all the way forward? maybe you manipulate the sprocket sizes to accommodate the chain if its too tight afterwards? I used to do that as well, helps if you can shorten that wheelbase, any amount helps really, a new chain perhaps?  :-)

bout all I know, prolly other ways?

Offline Vex 918

• Apprentice Post Whore
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2021, 04:57:45 AM »
Thanks Twisted.. very comprehensive response.. looking to fit dog bones and set the sag. Once funds become available. I’ll get the suspension replaced.. I will be going with your 180/110 tyres and look at the rest when the sun comes out...... cheers

Offline Super

• Post Whore
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2021, 11:21:38 AM »
To raise the rear, make a set of dog bones (suspension links) that are .500 longer centerline to centerline on the bolt hole.  This will actually move the ride height up around 1.1".

Offline Vex 918

• Apprentice Post Whore
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2021, 03:15:51 PM »
Thanks Super.. going to make them up this weekend cheers for the advice.. well I will do if I can shovel 4 foot of snow away from the garage door  :nopity: :censored: :censored: :toilet:

Offline Super

• Post Whore
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2021, 04:31:06 PM »
Sorry..., after looking at my post.  The dog bones need to be shorter center line to C/L...., NOT longer.

Offline Vex 918

• Apprentice Post Whore
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2021, 04:34:44 PM »
It’s cool bud I knew what you meant

Offline Vex 918

• Apprentice Post Whore
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2021, 05:44:13 AM »
Well what can I say, I went for a blast this morning down my favourite twisties which are around 20 miles, came home changed the dog bones which raised the rear end just over 1inch and headed down the same route... what a transformation, bike felt lighter to throw into turns, a hell of a lot less effort required to move it around, really well impressed and would recommend to everyone. There is no loss of stability in or out of the corners or straight line. Only problem is it has showed that the brakes need up graded due to increased confidence knowing I can attack the corners faster....  :banana: :banana: :banana: :rockwoot: :rockwoot: