Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Very odd overheating issue 2005 Hayabusa  (Read 3490 times)

Offline Jamessa

• New User!
  • Enthusiast
Very odd overheating issue 2005 Hayabusa
« on: April 15, 2021, 08:44:39 AM »
Ok my hubbys 2005 hayabusa.   No one seems to have ever heard of the issue and we can't seems to figure it out.

The bike can run an hour or 5 hours and won't overheat but the second you turn it off the bike overheats and red lines and the oil light comes on.   The fans kick in and once it cools off the temp drops and the oil light goes off.   We have tried it with the thermostat out and does the same thing.  The coolant is filled and not over filled.   We are at a loss.  I have called around and talked to local bike mechanics and none of them have ever heard of this happening.  Normally if it overheats its gonna be while its running not after it has been shut off.   

Any ideas or suggestions are greatly appreciated.   Thank you. 

Ps need his bike running so he can ride with me when I ride on my bike lol
« Last Edit: April 15, 2021, 08:51:42 AM by Jamessa »

Offline Stainless1

• Rider
Re: Very odd overheating issue 2005 Hayabusa
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2021, 10:16:53 AM »
OK, if you restart it does it cool down and the warning light go off?
Bonneville 200 MPH Club
245 MPH Turbo Busa Powered Lakester
208.959 MPH NA GSXR 1000

Offline turbojonn

• OFF TOPIC
  • Mad Post Whore
  • Friends don't let friends use boost.
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2021, 10:22:03 AM »
Have you checked the coolant level? When you check this you  Cana also check to see if there are any bubbles in the overflow tank when it is running (rev it up and look for bubbles while revved)? Mine did this when I blew a head gasket. Yours is not likely a head gasket issue, but you may as well rule that out.
RCC turbos rock!!! Rcc- Ultra plenum, case saver, Carillo rods, Wossner pistons, APE springs/tool steel shift shafts, Ferrara valves, ARP studs, lightened and balanced crank, Boostbysmith ecu editor, AMS 1000 with CO2, 475 hp. Mac arm 0-6 over, BST carbon fiber rims. Someday I'm goin' fast!

Offline Jamessa

• New User!
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2021, 10:35:44 AM »
We figured it out.  I got a hold of a Hayabusa mechanic.  He had him burp it.  So he had him take rhe cap off the radiator.  Then rock it let it settle fill it up then rock it again and do this until it stops dropping in level.  Then he had us top it off to the tippyity top so a little fluid came out when putting the cap on.   That works.  So simple so I am so thankful.   

Thank you all so much for the responses and maybe this will help others in the future.   Apparently gotta keep a baby burped lol

Offline turbojonn

• OFF TOPIC
  • Mad Post Whore
  • Friends don't let friends use boost.
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2021, 08:54:06 PM »
Glad it is good now. I would check the coolant level for the next few rides and then every couple of rides. It shouldn’t need burping other than the initial burp. Others may chime in here?
RCC turbos rock!!! Rcc- Ultra plenum, case saver, Carillo rods, Wossner pistons, APE springs/tool steel shift shafts, Ferrara valves, ARP studs, lightened and balanced crank, Boostbysmith ecu editor, AMS 1000 with CO2, 475 hp. Mac arm 0-6 over, BST carbon fiber rims. Someday I'm goin' fast!