Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Reverse Battery Installation trouble shooting, WTH!  (Read 4298 times)

Offline jjckflsh

• Rider
  • Where am I?
Reverse Battery Installation trouble shooting, WTH!
« on: May 27, 2021, 07:29:10 AM »
Well never thought that I would ever be asking for help with this, :whoopass:

Shorai Battery was low on charge so I took it out of my 2004 Hayabusa and charged it.  Then I stupidly installed it reverse polarity.  You may ask how because most batteries are made so that you can reach the wires to do this but, I found away.  With the Sorat battery the terminals are accessible from two orientations.  I wasn't paying attention and installed it wrong.  Turned on ignition, nothing.  Normally fuel pump energizes but, nothing.  Then I went back to look at battery and realized that I installed it reverse polarity. OS!

So, I did the Egyptian thing the D nile.  Hooked the battery up correctly and hoped I didn't screw things up. I turned on the ignition and nothing.

With ignition on:

No lights
No fuel pump
No display

Other factors:

I did not have the ignition on for more than a few seconds:  Not that that really means anything.
Did not smell any electrical wiring burning.
Checked all the fuses in the in the fuse box to the left of the display, did not find any blown.

Now for the bad part:

I have a Motec 130 ECU connected to the stock modified wiring harness through a an adapter kit box made for plug and play installation.
I also have a Motec 127 Display connected through a CN bus.

My thoughts:

With the key on: nothing seems activated, this indicates to me that the electricity has to be shutoff at a focal point that is shared by most if not all the systems.  By checking the fuses and finding them still intact, there has to be another fuse or fusible link or something like this that links them altogether.

What wires would be prone to burning?

How would I check my Motec 130 ECU to see if I fried it?

Your thoughts on how to proceed and rectify this situation?  - Other than serious therapy.

Thank you for you input!

Jack

Offline turbojonn

• OFF TOPIC
  • Mad Post Whore
  • Friends don't let friends use boost.
Re: Reverse Battery Installation trouble shooting, WTH!
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2021, 07:49:43 AM »
Are there any fuses in line that may have been installed along with the Motec? I’d trace the wires and look. Any stock ecu you can swap to test?
RCC turbos rock!!! Rcc- Ultra plenum, case saver, Carillo rods, Wossner pistons, APE springs/tool steel shift shafts, Ferrara valves, ARP studs, lightened and balanced crank, Boostbysmith ecu editor, AMS 1000 with CO2, 475 hp. Mac arm 0-6 over, BST carbon fiber rims. Someday I'm goin' fast!

Offline Stainless1

• Rider
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2021, 09:25:20 AM »
Did ya check the big fuse by the starter relay  :stk:
Bonneville 200 MPH Club
245 MPH Turbo Busa Powered Lakester
208.959 MPH NA GSXR 1000

Offline RansomT

• Post Master
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2021, 05:01:20 PM »
My Shorai Battery has a built in reverse protector.  It shuts the battery off and will not reactive until it is placed back on charge.  Do you have the Shorai battery charger?
Fastest 1.5-Mile Pass - 252.222
Fastest 1-Mile Pass - 244.2997
Half Mile - 211.47
Fastest Nitrous Bike
Production Bike
211.079 LTA. P/P 1350

Offline jjckflsh

• Rider
  • Where am I?
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2021, 05:28:09 PM »
Hey, first off thanks for input!!

1.  Did not see a fuse to he Motec m130.  I however, did call up Motec and they said that there is limited built in polarity protection with in the ECU.

2.  Did not yet check the fuse by the starter relay.  I will being that as soon as I get back home.  Will post results.

3.  I did not know that the Shorai battery had reverse polarity lock-out protection.  Yes, I have the Shoria charger which I will use to unlock the battery. 

Again, thanks for the quick replies.  I am having speed withdrawals.

Jack

Offline jjckflsh

• Rider
  • Where am I?
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2021, 07:13:07 AM »
Ok folks,

As promised, I am posting the results of this self induced hassle.  I found the fuse in the fuse box blown.  It is located underneath the rear faring on the left side (Starter relay main fuse) 30 amp. FYI, there is actually 2, 30 amp fuses in that location, one was blown the other good. 

Thanks to all who posted!!!!!!!!!!!   :banana:

On to my next problem  :fiddy: - right front fork seal leaking, really?

Again this group is the Busa Bomb!   

Offline Stainless1

• Rider
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2021, 10:01:56 AM »
JJ, there are 2 in there... one should be a spare... good to hear you're back in business   :tu:
Bonneville 200 MPH Club
245 MPH Turbo Busa Powered Lakester
208.959 MPH NA GSXR 1000

Offline turbojonn

• OFF TOPIC
  • Mad Post Whore
  • Friends don't let friends use boost.
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2021, 10:05:07 AM »
That had to feel great to see that blown fuse😀😀😀👍🏻👍🏻
RCC turbos rock!!! Rcc- Ultra plenum, case saver, Carillo rods, Wossner pistons, APE springs/tool steel shift shafts, Ferrara valves, ARP studs, lightened and balanced crank, Boostbysmith ecu editor, AMS 1000 with CO2, 475 hp. Mac arm 0-6 over, BST carbon fiber rims. Someday I'm goin' fast!

Offline jjckflsh

• Rider
  • Where am I?
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2021, 10:18:14 PM »
Hey,

Didn't know that one of the 2 fuseswas a spare, I actually looked up the wiring schematic to try and figure out what the other fuse was.  Thanks for the 411, appreciate it

Also, yes I was greatly relieved to find that fuse.  So glad that I cancelled my extra therapy sessions.  .Again, speed freaks,  thank you for your heip!!!. :redthumb: