Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: ZX10 build  (Read 25882 times)

Offline zrxdean

• Post Master
Re: ZX10 build
« Reply #50 on: December 20, 2020, 07:23:34 AM »
Wow Ransom, I’m glad you’re alive! I hope your recovery goes well from this point. Also that the kid had plenty of insurance.

Looking forward to seeing the primer streak run again soon. Or pull the fairings off and go for fastest unblown? I need to check that, I think it’s Steve.

Dean

Offline MJ Williams

• Post Whore
« Reply #51 on: December 22, 2020, 10:07:55 PM »
I know this is off topic but how is that reverse shoulder replacement working for you?
I detached 3 of 4 shoulder tendons through the years due to abuse (if you're dumb you have to be tough).
The surgeon is saying that a reverse replacement is the only solid option but will limit my strength where I'll have to retire.
He says there are other options but they have a higher failure rate.
Thanks
Have a Harley, spent lots of money on it, thought I had a fast motorcycle, bought a Busa, realized all I had was a fast Harley, not a fast motorcycle!

Offline RansomT

• Post Master
« Reply #52 on: December 23, 2020, 08:23:16 AM »
I had the surgery on August 17th and my last Physical Therapy will be next week.  I have a lot of motion that I didn't have before, but of course it isn't "normal".  Pain is GREATLY reduced and I can work on the dyno or a motorcycle again. 

The limitations are I can't raise my arm straight up near my head and reach the small of my back without a 2 part motion, which is a limitation of the joint itself. However, I have nearly normal motion everywhere else. I can tuck, before my arm wouldn't rotate at all.   My humerus head had completely rotted away and the surgeon had to cut into the bone a lot further than normal.

I have no restriction on weight lifting below my waist and suppose to be 25 lbs above the waist.  But, I've been working out with 30 lb weights at PT. I've even been doing push ups, albeit on a 24" incline, but push ups none the less.

It takes a LONG time to recover, but it was the best decision I've made.
This is Important!   Make sure the surgeon that operates has done a lot of reverse shoulders.  When I did my research on the operation, that was the biggest determining factor of how successful the outcome would be. 

Dean:  Nope, The kid had the lowest coverage allowed.  Paid enough for my insurance deductibles for 2 years.

Fastest 1.5-Mile Pass - 252.222
Fastest 1-Mile Pass - 244.2997
Half Mile - 211.47
Fastest Nitrous Bike
Production Bike
211.079 LTA. P/P 1350

Offline MJ Williams

• Post Whore
« Reply #53 on: December 23, 2020, 09:36:03 AM »
Thanks for the info, it is good to hear how things turn out for normal people, you know like motorcycle racers and firemen.
He said it was going to be a long road whatever choice I make, reverse replacement, cadaver graft/patch or superior capsule reconstruction but in my case the bone is solid so that's going for me.
It sounds like you are ahead of the game being 4 months post surgery which says as much about how hard you have worked as anything. :tu:
Take care of that shoulder and Merry Christmas
Have a Harley, spent lots of money on it, thought I had a fast motorcycle, bought a Busa, realized all I had was a fast Harley, not a fast motorcycle!

Offline zrxdean

• Post Master
« Reply #54 on: December 28, 2020, 10:40:36 AM »
I'm happy to hear the recovery is going well. Good luck to you and MJ in 2021 (and to us all). 

I did some digging into the fastest unblown bike, and I think it's still Ryan O at 218.2 in Beeville 2013. Steve went 217.8 this year. I can't find a faster naked bike without a turbo. Thing is - Ryan's and Steve's bikes were not spraying - so I would think that your bonkers nitrous bike would go faster without the fairing. 220+ I would guess, without doing anything fancy to the chassis, just yank the fairing and zip tie things down.

Cheers :)

Offline zrxdean

• Post Master
« Reply #55 on: May 06, 2021, 02:04:46 PM »
Update on this project, which took a big step this past weekend.

I took the bike to Brian Livengood at Livengood Motorsports outside Atlanta, and tuned the bike for alcohol and a wet shot - 18N/14F. That went well, and it made 185hp on the motor and 230hp spraying.

The bike had gone 181mph in the same class at the Nov 2020 meet, so calculations (Sumner) predicted 195 with the extra power. I picked sprockets that would put me around that speed in 5th gear. The first pass went well, the course was great and there was a gusty quartering tailwind. With the 60lb of ballast it didn't break traction when I hit the button and went 194 for a new record. Got through impound (engine still sealed from Nov) and the log showed it was a bit rich, around 12:1.

I put in 23/17 pills in place of the 18/14s, pulled 4 degrees of timing and got back in line. No dyno pulls with this shot, but NX predicted ~75hp. This would get me in the magic zone of new hat joy if all went well. No one had broken 200 on a naked unblown 1000 before in the SCTA, but they were close, 197 & 198.

I get to the front of the line and warm up the engine, and it cuts out. I jiggle the kill switch and there is a loose connection somewhere. I do whatever I can in the minutes I have, and it seems to be working, but I have no idea if the bike will make it down the track. I take off, get into 6th and hit the button, the tire holds, but the bike is cutting out slightly, but it manages to stay running, and clocks 200.3. A patrol rode over and told me and I almost lost my mind with joy - it was sooo close!

John Noonan, who had been helping me for several years at El Mirage, showed up to push me back and took a bunch of pics, he seemed just as happy as I was. Thanks John.

The bike made it through impound, I got a new hat from Mike Stewart, and took more pictures. It didn't seem real, and I couldn't stop grinning. Eventually I look at the log, and it was super rich when spraying, 10.8, so there's more power in it if I switch out the fuel pills and replace the kill switch. So maybe another 4500 mile round trip this November :)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2021, 02:08:47 PM by zrxdean »

Offline Landspeed Larry

• Rider
« Reply #56 on: May 06, 2021, 03:11:53 PM »
Welcome back Dean. That is a bad M-Fer. Only those who do it know how many things have to go right for it to work especially with nitrous. Sure makes the long trip home a pleasure. Celebrate with a meal at Big Boy  :biggrin:  my treat.  LSL
All motor all the time and a turbo now and then.

Offline MJ Williams

• Post Whore
« Reply #57 on: May 06, 2021, 05:46:07 PM »
Congratulations :rockwoot: That is way cool

Offline Stainless1

• Rider
« Reply #58 on: May 07, 2021, 12:07:49 AM »
Woooohoooo now that's as good as it gets... congratulations on that new hat... maroon or merlot whatever color they call it.... looks good on ya. 
Maybe 1 up on N20 instead of 1 down on fuel....
Very cool any way you look at it.  :db:
Bonneville 200 MPH Club
245 MPH Turbo Busa Powered Lakester
208.959 MPH NA GSXR 1000

Offline zrxdean

• Post Master
« Reply #59 on: May 07, 2021, 09:10:07 AM »
Thanks folks, I've still got the perma-grin  :mrgreen:

Offline firemanjim

• Post Whore
    • Black Art Racing
« Reply #60 on: May 07, 2021, 10:53:48 AM »
Dr. Dean did it well!! It was great to see him and all the rest of the folks at Elmo. It was good to welcome Dean to the club!
Official Site Tuner

Home of one of the fastest 750cc bikes in the world
239MPH faired, 217MPH naked!
Bonneville 200 Club
El Mirage 200 Club
Mojave Mile 200 Club
Mojave Magnum 200 Club
NEDRA 100 MPH Club
Gairdner 200MPH Achiever 2013
2014 1st place Mojave Mile N/A bike
2015 top speed trophy at WOS
Colorado mile 200 MPH club
2017 DLRA 200 MPH club
2018 Shift Sector 200 MPH Club

Offline RansomT

• Post Master
« Reply #61 on: May 08, 2021, 08:23:23 PM »
Awesome!

When you are spraying for a mile or more, being a little rich is where you want to be.  A LOT of heat happens past the 1/2 mile mark, EGTs go through the roof.

Now 10.8:1 (gas scale) is a touch or two rich.  Mid-11s is where you want to be.
Fastest 1.5-Mile Pass - 252.222
Fastest 1-Mile Pass - 244.2997
Half Mile - 211.47
Fastest Nitrous Bike
Production Bike
211.079 LTA. P/P 1350

Offline ADMIN

• Administrator
  • Post Master
« Reply #62 on: May 10, 2021, 02:13:17 PM »
Great job! That looks like quite the wild naked ride! Congrats!
Closed course. Professional rider. Do not attempt.

Still privately owned and operated by Hayabusa owner enthusiasts. 2002, small  a/a kit, CF body

If it's in a truck or trailer, it's being stolen