Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Rusted gas tank......  (Read 5189 times)

'01 Black Busa

Rusted gas tank......
« on: July 21, 2004, 06:36:30 PM »
My 'busa quit the other day in the middle of the highway.  No doubt it was a feul delivery problem as it was cutting in and out until it just died.  I managed to pull into a parking lot, and upon opening my gas filler cap, I saw that the inside of the tank was coated w/ a thin layer of light rust.  The only thing I can figure is the rust settled to the bottom of the tank and clogged the intake to the feul pump.  It only appears to surface rust and not "cancer".

I'm considering etching & coating my tank w/ KREEM 3 step, but don't really feel like dealing w/ the aggravation.  Any suggestions?  After a $90 flatbed ride, I have no desire to get stranded in the middle of nowhere again!  Any suggestions?

Offline turbobusa65

• Post Whore
Rusted gas tank......
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2004, 06:48:07 PM »
Mine did the same thing, Kreemed it about 5 mos . ago  and it came out really nice! no problem's since!!
No computer operating busa freak!

'01 Black Busa

Rusted gas tank......
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2004, 07:02:58 PM »
Like I said, not sure I want to deal with the hassle......but let me ask a question or two.  What did you do for tank prep (not talking about the KREEM prep of cleaning & etching)?  Did you remove the feul pump assembly from the bottom of the tank?  Did you remove the gas cap assembly, etc?  How did you plug the openings?  How did you ensure that the KREEM didn't seal over the openings, etc.?  

I pulled my tank off the bike, but it seems there may be more than meets the eye to the tank, as even after siphoning the tank and then tipping it upside down to drain out the filler opening, it still seems like there's gas inside.  Of course, maybe I'm just retarded too!! :oops:

Hell, I'm almost considering just buying a tank if someone has one cheap ('01 Blk/Sil only).  I'd be interested in hearing your experience in completing the KREEM process.  Thanks!

Offline turbobusa65

• Post Whore
Rusted gas tank......
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2004, 07:14:33 PM »
shoot me your phone no. and I'll call you! to much to type!!

'01 Black Busa

Rusted gas tank......
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2004, 07:28:19 PM »
Quote from: turbobusa65
shoot me your phone no. and I'll call you! to much to type!!

Hey bro......I'm currently at work (in a vehicle) on a laptop.  No phone right now.  That's right......your tax dollars hard at work!!! :lol:

On duty 'til 0300, then I'm off to Loudon, NH for NASCAR weekend at 0700.  If you get a chance, PM me w/ your # and I'll give you a call first thing next week (won't be back until Monday).  Thanks in advance!!!

Offline turbobusa65

• Post Whore
Rusted gas tank......
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2004, 07:37:27 PM »
'01 black busa you have a P. M.  :wink:

Offline Mileageking

• Mad Post Whore
Rusted gas tank......
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2004, 09:18:29 PM »
remove the guts put some gravel in it shaka shaka shaka rust is gone rinse wiht fresh water and soap back to gether in 1/2 hour done it countless times. I hate that tank liner stuff sure it works for a while maybe a couple years IF you are really lucky then it somees loose and throw your tank in the trash, Trust me Gravel works great  :wink:  :wink:  :wink:  :wink:  :wink:
Super happy friends making happy fun time

Offline TECH

• Mad Post Whore
Rusted gas tank......
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2004, 01:47:39 AM »
A bunch of flat washers supposedly works too.

Offline pordist

• Rider
    • http://porsouth.com
Rusted gas tank......
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2004, 09:37:07 PM »
I sell restoration products that are specific for rust.  POR-15 rust preventive paint .  If you want more info.you can look at my site, porsouth.com.  We carry fuel tank repair kits that put kreem to shame.  If you are not fully satisfied with our product I will refund your money.  I have put our tank coating in the following cars that I have restored: 70 GTX 440-auto, 70 bee, 70 coronet R/T, 70 GTX 440-4spd, 71 RR, and a 71 CUDA.  My cutomers have it in everything from equipment, pro street cars, motorcycles, old scooters, etc.  I will send catalogs to anyone interested.  Thanks.
four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.

Offline raxen

• Post Master
Rusted gas tank......
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2004, 09:44:43 PM »
POR-15 rust preventive paint

After being introduced to POR-15 on my first hot rod workover (not restoration), the love affair begain.  I used some of the stuff that Eastwood sold before then but nothing can compare.  POR gets my stamp of approval against the fight of rust but I don't know about the use in this particular application.

I suggest that you call Eastwood and get some of their gas tank liner and sealer coatings.  Before you use them have your tank dipped at the radiator shop to cleanse it of its evil (may hurt paint  :x ) but the problem will never occur again once it is properly coated.

Offline raxen

• Post Master
Rusted gas tank......
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2004, 09:46:34 PM »
70 GTX 440-auto, 70 bee, 70 coronet R/T, 70 GTX 440-4spd, 71 RR, and a 71 CUDA

Sounds like my dad's garage, he's a big MOPAR nut that can also praise POR.  

That thing got a hemi?

Offline Busafied™

• Mad Post Whore
    • My Homepage and BS..
Rusted gas tank......
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2004, 08:35:36 PM »
aw shit a MoPar nut reunion  :twisted:

owned quite a few myself, and still kicking me self in the a$$ for selling the last one.. the 68 RR w/383

Had a 69 Coronet R/T 44, 4 spd, 70 GTX, could go on for days..
Sorry for the highjack.... 2 things gimme a woody.. Suzuki & MoPar  8)  :lol:
"You're Only Limited, By Your Own Mind..." My Home Page 
I built the Motor and the Turbo System. RIP {CDK} 11-11-08 I miss you...

Offline raxen

• Post Master
Rusted gas tank......
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2004, 09:45:30 PM »
Sorry for the highjack.... 2 things gimme a woody.. Suzuki & MoPar

:lol:

Offline pordist

• Rider
    • http://porsouth.com
Rusted gas tank......
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2004, 05:27:12 PM »
The gas tank repair is specific to fuel resistance and is different from the rust preventive.  There is no need to dip the tank as all of the steps in the kit only go on the inside of the tank so the paint is not hurt.
four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.

Offline raxen

• Post Master
Rusted gas tank......
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2004, 05:51:11 PM »
I was referring to cleaning the internal surfaces up a bit before using the products not the directions as per provided by the products manufacturer.