Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Slight Oil problem????  (Read 8090 times)

Offline •Khandy•Rhed•Bhusa•

• Post Whore
Slight Oil problem????
« on: May 02, 2005, 09:07:39 PM »
Slight Oil problem????

My 03 had 5172 miles on it when I got it last September, has 9600 miles on it now.  Since the day I got it, it seemed to 'consume' oil rather quickly than normal? There was NO visible leak, NO oil smell, No overheating, and NO smoke comming from the bike.

I would just notice that I need to put 1 or 2 quarts in it maybe in about 2 months time to fill it back up.  Engine is very strong no weird noises etc. I remember a guy from H.org had the SAME **color, SAME year as my bike with the SAME problem.

Well I had my 'first' ride on Sunday. 149 is a GREAT rode for twisties. Ran the bike pretty hard, and cruised through some places for exactly 3hrs. BUT before leaving I checked the oil and it was halfway in the sight glass. Then today before I rode, it was below the 'LOW' mark?

Well I thought I would do it 'right' and put in the Valvoline 4 stroke motorcycle oil that was rated SF/SG and had high RPM protection Yada Yada.  Well I just CRUISED for about 10 miles, short shifting every gear just to let the oil work its way. parked it, started it back up after 30 mins and white smoke came from the right tail pipe!!

I was like nooooooo way.  It shot out and I twisted it a little bit and continued. I shut it off and the smoke still came out of the right tail pipe. well after leaving it for about 1hr I started it back up BARELY any smoke from both pipes, almost to where you could not even see it. I TRIED to empty the oil from the Hex screw but only a LITTLE oil came out so I pieced it back.

(The fairing is VERY easy to take off btw. First time I did it, and it only took 10mins including the 'look over' to see what needs to come off!)
I drove gently home and noticed no smoke, got home and twisted it, still no smoke.

Do I have to be worried??? I was thinking of getting the shop to do an oil change but not if its a waste of money though.

**Maybe this oil consumption is the reason why my color is the most aggressive/fastest of all years?

Ahab

Slight Oil problem????
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2005, 09:10:52 PM »
....do a comp test :wink:  and make sure you dont have any oil in the coolant as well....

• Post Whore
Slight Oil problem????
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2005, 09:11:16 PM »
the oil in the sight glass MAY be topped off like MAYBE too over filled? I think it was full after the first quart, but I just stuck in another one I dunno just trying to give more info thanks!

• Post Whore
Slight Oil problem????
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2005, 09:12:31 PM »
Quote from: Ahab
....do a comp test :wink:  and make sure you dont have any oil in the coolant as well....

if It is not expensive, I may do, while i had the fairing off, I just opened up the radiator to see is stuff was in there and it was filled alright, nice and pure green looked fresh though.

Ahab

Slight Oil problem????
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2005, 09:21:36 PM »
when you check the oil level, make sure the bike is upright on even ground....not on a wheel lift. check the oil level when the motor is warm, and the the engine is off. if that checks out....move on to the compression test.

Pull the plugs and check for oil or other contaminents. do not mix up the plugs...if #2 is compromised, its plug should have tell tale signs.  it wont do you any good diagnosing a cyl when you dont know what plug came from where.

A comp tester can be purchased at sears (any auto store should have them....but it will require a 12mm plug adapter) the $55 kit has the proper adapter. follow the directions of the kit....and write down your findings per cylinder. Stock comp is around 180PSI .......

Ahab

Slight Oil problem????
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2005, 09:25:53 PM »
Ive blown 2 cyls w/ no oil on the plugs. The bike would smoke, then stop....then start smokin again......esp under load. The bike ran fine...maybe a tad weak feelin (keep in mind it has a turbo....so.... :roll: ).....point is, it took a comp test to "see" the damage. dont ride it, start it....buy a comp tester (or borrow one) and find out if its a factor before moving on. a bike w/ 5K miles on it shouldnt eat that much oil....... :wink:

Ahab

Slight Oil problem????
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2005, 09:31:22 PM »
Quote from: Hayaboosta03
the oil in the sight glass MAY be topped off like MAYBE too over filled? I think it was full after the first quart, but I just stuck in another one I dunno just trying to give more info thanks!

us turbo guys run the oil level to the top of the sight glass.....4 full qts....maybe a tad more.

Unless your fillin the case cause you were checkin the oil on a slope, or on the sidestand ( :roll: ) it shouldnt smoke like that from over filling.....

Offline Quijinn

• Universal Post Whore
  • Kawasaki Hahahahahah
Slight Oil problem????
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2005, 10:32:20 PM »
Take some pics of your plugs and lable them so we can see them. Make sure the good qual and good light. If you dont have a host sight email them to me at Quijinn1@yahoo.com. I will post them and look over them.
Hi my name is Mark and I am a Bikeaholic.     Be carefull how fast you race through life, the finish line is death, and the trophy is a headstone.  Our perspective is how we judge our lives, to judge others we need a little change in our perspective.

• Post Whore
Slight Oil problem????
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2005, 10:47:48 PM »
lol don't worry I have a konica minolta maxxum 7d so the pics should be good at 3008x2000. this is what I used to TRY to drain the oil but only a little came out.
I guess the compression test should be able to tell me if something is wrong right? I may see about getting that done!  I checked the oil while it was on the kick stand.

I will take out the plugs if it is not too hard to do because of the tight space :-)

thank you guys for pointing me in the right direction!

Offline Quijinn

• Universal Post Whore
  • Kawasaki Hahahahahah
Slight Oil problem????
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2005, 10:50:25 PM »
I would say do a leak down, but that is a bit tougher. Compression test will let you know if you have bad rings, that could explain why you are not seeing oil most of the time.
Hi my name is Mark and I am a Bikeaholic.     Be carefull how fast you race through life, the finish line is death, and the trophy is a headstone.  Our perspective is how we judge our lives, to judge others we need a little change in our perspective.

• Post Whore
Slight Oil problem????
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2005, 10:50:58 PM »
oh btw its no use trying to mark the oil now becuase its so full its completely 'black out' because the oil is full, but this was after 2 quarts

I am putting in the pennzoil 10-40w motor oil. what I always use in my cars/bikes no complaints

Ahab

Slight Oil problem????
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2005, 10:53:22 PM »
I checked the oil while it was on the kick stand.

I will take out the plugs if it is not too hard to do because of the tight space :-)

.......dont bother :roll:  drain the oil, and refill it with 3 qts. then stand the bike straight up (READ: NOT ON THE SIDE STAND :roll: ) and continue to fill it with a 4 qt till the oil level is reading in the sight.  by filling it on the side stand you over filled the case......

Offline Quijinn

• Universal Post Whore
  • Kawasaki Hahahahahah
Slight Oil problem????
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2005, 10:57:01 PM »
I checked the oil while it was on the kick stand.

Damn Ahab I missed it good catch. Drain the oil, refill it and have someone help you hold the bike up straight. I think you might have to much oil in it. Should not even see the oil in the sight glass on the kick stand.

Ahab

Slight Oil problem????
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2005, 10:59:04 PM »
when you check the oil level, make sure the bike is upright on even ground....not on a wheel lift. check the oil level when the motor is warm, and the the engine is off. if that checks out....move on

Ahab

Slight Oil problem????
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2005, 11:00:42 PM »

us turbo guys run the oil level to the top of the sight glass.....4 full qts....maybe a tad more.

Unless your fillin the case cause you were checkin the oil on a slope, or on the sidestand ( :roll: ) it shouldnt smoke like that from over filling.....

• Post Whore
Slight Oil problem????
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2005, 11:07:10 PM »
ok cool I will get the things squared away for tomorrow.  I didn't know whether to check the oil level when it was on or off. I think I checked it first at on, then again at off so that messed me up, its soooo overfilled then :-(  Any tips of draining it like I mentioned?

Ahab

Slight Oil problem????
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2005, 11:10:10 PM »
.....I dunno.....

.....the 17mm bolt on the very bottom of the engine (between the headers) always worked for me....

• Post Whore
Slight Oil problem????
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2005, 11:48:06 PM »
thanks Ahab I will look for this point, if not I will just take off the oil filter and let the oil out. I have a KandN filter to replace it

Ahab

Slight Oil problem????
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2005, 12:02:06 AM »

Hayaboosta03, where did you get this pic from? Do you have the rest of the assosciated pages?

• Post Whore
Slight Oil problem????
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2005, 12:20:45 AM »
yes i have the WHOLE online manual why?

Ahab

Slight Oil problem????
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2005, 12:27:41 AM »
http://www.suzukihayabusa.org/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=45321&highlight=

.....cause I was gonna offer you one if ya needed it :wink:

Offline 02SE

• Post Apocalyptic Whore
Slight Oil problem????
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2005, 12:30:01 AM »
Because if you have the whole service manual, you should know how to check the oil level correctly, and where the oil drain plug is, and the tightening torque for the drain plug.  :wink:

• Post Whore
Slight Oil problem????
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2005, 12:38:44 AM »
yeah you are right I should, but I did some quick searches and could not spot the OIL draining part though :-) well I know now

more help from H.org's Ba Busa

"Your bike only takes a little less than four qts with a new filter...if you over fill it, you will burn more oil and could cause damage to the engine. Let some one look at it that knows what they are doing, before something gets messed up. "

"You have to check the oil with the engine off and the bike sitting upright....not on the kick stand. If you check it on the kick stand it will be low....if you fill it to the top mark when it is on the kick stand you will be way over full. If you have been doing it that way....that's your oil consumption problem  "

so it looks like that is my oil consumption, but now I am begining to think I never had that problem? just my flawed method of checking it?

Offline Noumenon

• Mad Post Whore
    • http://home.cfl.rr.com/redbusa/
Slight Oil problem????
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2005, 09:00:59 AM »
.....I dunno.....

.....the 17mm bolt on the very bottom of the engine (between the headers) always worked for me....

What!, dang, i've been turning the whole bike over to drain the oil out  :lol:
Home Page (aka RedBusa)

Offline foresteronw

• Mad Post Whore
Slight Oil problem????
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2005, 09:22:20 AM »

just my flawed method of checking it?

I agree.  I think even the basic manual that came with your bike should tell you how to check the oil.  Just from what I've read here if I were you I would either become very familiar with my manual or let a shop do the work.  I would hate to see you hurt the bike by doing something you shouldn't.  At the very least you should read the manual before you do ANYTHING on the bike to ensure it is being done correctly.  If you can't find it in the book wait until someone can point it out to you.  Stupid mistakes can cost a lot of money.

One more hint...DON'T CROSSTHREAD THE OIL PAIN DRAIN PLUG AND DON'T OVER TIGHTEN IT!!!!!