Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Clutch oiling mod???  (Read 8142 times)

Offline Yngve

• Post Master
Clutch oiling mod???
« on: November 07, 2002, 08:25:00 AM »
What is this mod?  I have read about it but I dont know what it is... Can anybody help me on this since I am about to take out my clutch to install the MTC inner basket on my 1550.

Thanks..
Yngve
I dont know what I am talking about but I do know that I am right :)

Offline Yngve

• Post Master
Clutch oiling mod???
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2002, 03:26:00 PM »
Top.....
Are we slow here??????????????????

Offline Gerald

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Whore
    • http://www.cmdra.com
Clutch oiling mod???
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2002, 01:42:00 AM »
I haven't heard of a clutch oiling mod for the Busa yet, but I know that some gsxr1000 guys are doing it. Apparently they are modifying the clutch push-piece by lightly machining a groove in it?? I read about it on www.gixxer.com Check it out.

Offline Yngve

• Post Master
Clutch oiling mod???
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2002, 02:58:00 AM »
Thanx.
I just read a few months back that sombody had done a "mod" to the clutch and it was supposed to be something with oil?...
I am going to look into the Gixxer site to se if there is anything to do.

Offline Hugh

• Rider
Clutch oiling mod???
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2002, 03:02:00 AM »
Are you referring to the clutch mod that supposedly prevents the clutch fluid from getting dark?
2001 Suzuki Hayabusa
1993 Yamaha GTS-1000

Offline Yngve

• Post Master
Clutch oiling mod???
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2002, 03:50:00 AM »
I really dont know what I am reffering too.  I ¨just remember readin that somebody had done a clutch oiling mod and I thought it was inside the clutch basket or something... If it is the Clutch fluid....... then I dont care...

Tanxs....

Offline 396

• Mad Post Whore
Clutch oiling mod???
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2002, 09:42:00 AM »
The clutch mod you are talking about involves drilling more and larger holes in the stock basket. The MTC unit that you are getting already has that done. The other mod is also making a slight groove in the clutch push rod. MTC also does this if you can't.  

Offline Busafied™

• Mad Post Whore
    • My Homepage and BS..
Clutch oiling mod???
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2002, 10:38:00 AM »
The complete how to with demensions and all was lost in the hacking..

I had it bookmarked, I should have copied it..

But as he said more of the manufacturers are taking this into account on their parts.

Peace,
Busafied
"You're Only Limited, By Your Own Mind..." My Home Page 
I built the Motor and the Turbo System. RIP {CDK} 11-11-08 I miss you...

Offline Yngve

• Post Master
Clutch oiling mod???
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2002, 11:38:00 PM »
Now we are getting somwhere...    I understand now and milling the groove is no prob......
Dont know if I will do it though as I dont have any problem with my clutch.

Offline GSXRTURBO1

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Master
Clutch oiling mod???
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2002, 01:56:00 PM »
Yngve, if you aren't having problems now then don't do the mod. I think some people modified their clutch "pusher" only to regret it and purchase a new one. The newer baskets have more oil holes, and the MTC definitely has enough of them. I'd stay away from modifying the clutch pusher, even if I did have clutch issues. I just don't like that mod, the extra oil supplied to the clutch has to come from somewhere. Guess where? (hint, it's not a place you want to take oil away from!)
Thomas

Offline BEN

• Post Whore
Clutch oiling mod???
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2002, 04:57:00 PM »
I think the biggest problem when this mod was first started was that the groves in the pusher where way to big.I seen Tony at his MTC trailer at the Prostar race in Montgomery and looked at his pusher.The grove was very very and I mean very small,    it will give you a little more oil only when the clutch is disingaged.If Tony thinks this is a good mod thats good enough for me.

Offline ATLbusa

• Post Master
Clutch oiling mod???
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2002, 05:16:00 PM »
My own belief on this clutch oiling thing is the problem is synthetic everyone is using.  Now I know people are going to give me shit,  but never had a problem till I put mobil 1 in my bike then the clutch started acting up, when I pulled apart inner plates were dry,  my thoughts are the synthetic is so slick it flings off the clutch.  I put my regular oil back in and havent had problems since.   Again just my .02  I pull consistant low 1.60s and dip into the high 1.50's with the stock clutch, no mod.

Offline daddy long stroke

• Rider
Clutch oiling mod???
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2002, 06:44:00 PM »
I had the imfamous clutch "chatter" problem when trying to launch my busa. nothing short of replacing the entire large outter basket fixed ths problem. At the time, people thought it could be an oiling problem (the clutch plates were getting dried out), so they drilled more holes in the basket, and then moved on to cutting groves in the pusher. I started with 1 grove, then moved to 4, 1 every 90 degrees.
Bottom line was that it didn't help the chatter problem, and i personally ended up spinning a bearing in my motor. I cant say it was directly caused by the pusher mod, because oil going to the pusher is controlled by a jet in the oil pump distributer, so it can only get as much oil as that jet allowed no matter how many grooves were cut in the pusher.
_and it was a 1363 with a lot of passes on it! so who knows.
bottom line is that the BDE clutch cushion fixes the problem (unfortunately it wasnt out when i sold my busa), so it was nothing to do with oil.
my gsxr 1000 started chattering also after a few dozen passes, and the BDE clutch cushion fixed.that to-
TWINS. - THE DADDY LIKE TWINS!