Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Sport Touring on a Busa  (Read 25262 times)

Offline bikerdup

• Rider
Sport Touring on a Busa
« on: June 29, 2003, 10:39:00 AM »
Greetings, Earthlings. . .

I'm newly registered to the board as of this morning.  I currently ride a '98 VFR.  It's a terrific bike, capable of 600+ mile days and highly competent when the road gets twisty.  But at the end of the day, it's a toy, and I'm about ready for the new toy.

So, here's my request -- I would love to hear from those of you who sport tour on a 'busa.  What are it's strengths and weaknesses as a sport touring bike/  What modifications have you made to optimize it for this role?  Any experience with the Suzuki gel seat?  I would love to hear from you.
What is good?  To crush your enemies; to see them flee before you; and to hear the lamentations of their women !

Offline HOG SLYR

• Post Whore
Sport Touring on a Busa
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2003, 10:49:00 AM »
Welcome, Set of soft bags & a throttle Meister and go for it. It works great.

Offline Dwight-PA

• Mad Post Whore
Sport Touring on a Busa
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2003, 10:58:00 AM »
I typically ride my 99 Busa 250 to 300 miles per day when I go out for a ride anymore. I modified the fast idle (sometimes referred to as the choke lever) so I can cruise at almost 100 MPH. That way I can sit straight up for a while and also give my twist grip hand a break and still cruise along at fast highway speeds.

My friend had a red 98 VFR800 for several years but finally traded it in for an 01 Aprilia RSV Mille which he really loves. At first, he was afraid he might really miss the good old VFR but far greater torque and handling make bidding farewell to the weaker and older technology fairly painless.  

I love taking my Busa on twistie mountain trips, what a blast!  

Offline L.A. Don

• Rider
Sport Touring on a Busa
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2003, 10:59:00 AM »
If you are looking to still do 600 mile days, the Hayabusa is the wrong bike.  Sounds like you should go with a real sport-tourer (why they classify the Busa as a sport-tourer, I'll never know).

Offline CID

• Universal Post Whore
Sport Touring on a Busa
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2003, 11:22:00 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Dupuis:
Greetings, Earthlings. . .

I'm newly registered to the board as of this morning.  I currently ride a '98 VFR.  It's a terrific bike, capable of 600+ mile days and highly competent when the road gets twisty.  But at the end of the day, it's a toy, and I'm about ready for the new toy.

So, here's my request -- I would love to hear from those of you who sport tour on a 'busa.  What are it's strengths and weaknesses as a sport touring bike/  What modifications have you made to optimize it for this role?  Any experience with the Suzuki gel seat?  I would love to hear from you.

1500 in 2 1/2 days for me...no problem. (And my tour bike (bmw) was sitting in the garage)

Mike did a coast to coast to coast just a few months ago, two up.

And there'll be a bunch others on here that love it for that and have the miles to prove it.

It's not one of the 'best' touring machines, but for a quick 3 day weekend, this bike is a blast! Then afterwards, you can pull the luggage and take it to the drag strip 'or' road track and not get embarrased.  

Offline oilheadron

• Mad Post Whore
Sport Touring on a Busa
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2003, 11:25:00 PM »
Many folks like to run Helibars on top of a Genmar riser, maybe even the higher riser of the two offered. I have the lower one. For any real distance I have to use both (fairly short arms and not exactly 19 years old any more).

Ventura luggage is a hot tip for Busas. You can really load it up and the bike doesn't know it's there. A magnetic tank bag works great too. Just remember to use the safety strap so it can't blow off at higher speeds.

A Zero Gravity double bubble shield works great too.

Offline peskador

• Rider
Sport Touring on a Busa
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2003, 11:33:00 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by L.A. Busa:
If you are looking to still do 600 mile days, the Hayabusa is the wrong bike.  Sounds like you should go with a real sport-tourer (why they classify the Busa as a sport-tourer, I'll never know).

Plenty of people are doing 600+ on the busa...  It's not the best sport-tourer out there but it is very capable.....  It is what it is.  I've done multiple back-to-back 500 mile days on mine with no complaints.

Mike, check out this link to a similar thread: link-busa sport touring      

I've got the heli-bars, lowered (shaved) pegs, zg st screen, ventura rack, icon tank bag, gel seat, v-1, and gps V.  The gel seat is great except for it's tendency to store heat and soak up water.

Offline oilheadron

• Mad Post Whore
Sport Touring on a Busa
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2003, 12:24:00 PM »
I forgot about the footpegs. Even guys with relatively short legs find them too high for any kind of distance riding. Pegs from some of the other Suzuki models work nicely.

Offline 02SE

• Post Apocalyptic Whore
Sport Touring on a Busa
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2003, 03:01:00 PM »
The farthest I've ridden the busa in one day was 780 miles, that was with the bike in stock condition. I actually prefer the stock screen because at highway speeds and above the windblast hits me in the chest and takes weight off your wrists. Well there was one modification, I changed the stock grips for the PRO-GRIP dual compound grips, oh and I'm 6'3". I consider the busa a great sport-touring bike.

Offline buzzlatka

• Rider
Sport Touring on a Busa
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2003, 06:12:00 PM »
I have done 3 6000 mile trips on the busa.  Only mod is yosh pipe and corbin seats.  Plenty enough room and comfort to do 500-700 mile days and carry all my camping gear with me.  I am also 6'2''.  I think the seats help.

Offline 2002busa

• Rider
Sport Touring on a Busa
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2003, 06:18:00 PM »
I have put up to 300 miles a day on the Busa, but just ordered a new FJR1300 maybe you should take a look.  145 rear wheel HP and hard bags to boot.
Here is a link to some info on it.
http://www.fjr1300.info/

Offline WayneE

• Mad Post Whore
  • Habitual linestepper
Sport Touring on a Busa
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2003, 06:34:00 PM »
Let me know how you like the FJR.  My wife and I are considering one (in addition to the 'Busa).

Offline Loupin

• Apprentice Post Whore
Sport Touring on a Busa
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2003, 09:47:00 PM »
I ride the busa 2 ways. First as a real sport bike, most of the time, and also for sport touring, with a small trailer behind it.

Can you imagine, a Busa with a Yosh RS 4-2-1, PC-IIIR, G-Pack and air box mod, with a trailer behind.

The busa is is a fantastic machine for sport touring. It is an hyper sport tourer.
BUSA FROM THE NORTH

Offline Scot

• Rider
Sport Touring on a Busa
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2003, 10:08:00 PM »
I concur with much of what was posted.  I used to have a 94 VFR and loved it.  Racked up 24k in two years.

The Hayabusa makes a great tourer.  I've done a few 500 mile days and another 100-200 would not have been a problem at all.  I have a corbin seat, heli bars, and a double bubble.  That's all you need really.  It had gobs of power down low, great wind protection with the new screen and returns excellent fuel economy on the super slab.
(42-47mpg)
It turns a very low RPM at highway speeds and has very little buzziness if any.

Drawbacks are...
it eats tires.  I adjust my chain 2-3 times per oil change. (a little over an inch slack shifts smoothest)
leg room is a little limited.  I've heard GSXR foot pegs allow for a little more. It's not really a concern now and I am 5 foot 11.

I am going out on a limb here but I find it easier to ride the Hayabusa longer distance than did I on the VFR.  I loved the VFR but it turned more RPMS on the road and required a shift or two for a pass.  Not necessary with the Hayabusa.
I also hate staring at digital read outs. BORING!  I like gauges. Stuff moves.
02 Blue/Black

If it ain't snowin'....I'm a ridin'
If it is snowin'...I ain't a riding fast.

Offline arkansasbusa

• Rider
Sport Touring on a Busa
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2003, 10:24:00 PM »
I have an 01 busa, i have ridden it on several out of state trips, it rolled over 28,000 miles today. I have lowered the rear 2 inches, it seems to have taken some of the weight off my rists, (looks better too)and for me i think the bike still handles great in the twisties, i also have the fast idle set up as a cruise, i have a gel seat, tank bag and a set of Nelson Rigg soft saddle bags, they work well too, lots of room in those. Its a great bike for sport touring, my longest one day ride is probably around 600-700 miles, im 6'tall and 185 lbs,i wouldnt trade this bike for any other sport touring bike out there, just my two cents.

Offline FSTOUR

• Rider
Sport Touring on a Busa
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2003, 08:07:00 PM »
The Busa makes a fine sport touring bike.  Actually a great super sport touring bike.  I have an 01 with over 20,000 miles now and they all have been ridden two up.  I added heli-bars, a pyramid double bubble with a lip edge from Saeng.  A throttle lock is a nice addition.  I added a corbin seat and backrest for the old lady.  We use the ventura back rack, oxford saddle bags (55 liters per side!!!) and a chase harper euro sport tank bag.  We can do 500-600 mile days and get, belive me when I say 47-50 mpg.  The more miles she racks up the better fuel mpg it gets.  And I only run 87 octane in it.  
If i run faster then 80 mph it willd rop down to 45-47mpg.  There are other bikes better for touring, but none can match the power, handling, looks, reliability and peformance of the Busa.
You just have to decide what the trade offs are going to be.  Buy what bike makes you smile.

Offline Scot

• Rider
Sport Touring on a Busa
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2003, 09:15:00 PM »
I found my bike runs best with 87 octane also.

02 Blue/Black

If it ain't snowin'....I'm a ridin'
If it is snowin'...I ain't a riding fast.

Offline ThrottleBastard

• Rider
Sport Touring on a Busa
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2003, 10:08:00 PM »
About the fast idle as cruise control, is it easy to do?

Put over 120k mi on a BMW K100RS (gave to bud with 160k on the clock), but enjoy the busa waaaaaay more.
"... the chef 'cooked like someone who's never  been properly fucked in his life.'"

Offline arkansasbusa

• Rider
Sport Touring on a Busa
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2003, 10:25:00 PM »
On the fast idle as a cruise, i put a piece of surgical tubing over the cam follower on the throttle linkage where the fast idle cam pushes the throttle bodies open, if you raise your tank and watch as you operate the fast idle lever you can see what i mean, it just kicks the throttle bodies open more, i had to file a little off the cam to let the bike return to proper idle speed because the tubing reduced the clearance between the two. If you look at it, it is very simple, 15 minute job.

Offline Rocket Man

• Rider
Sport Touring on a Busa
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2003, 07:00:00 AM »
Arkansasbusa, can you post a pick of your fast idle mod?
Feel the fear, do it anyway

Offline kick

• Post Whore
Sport Touring on a Busa
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2003, 07:13:00 AM »
The 'busa is a great sport tourer.  I pass traffic near the speed of traffic and then go warp speed to the next group of cars if I can see a long way ahead of me.   It takes the boredom out of travel.

Tires are the only problem.  If I am riding like that I can only get 3,000 miles on a rear.  It might help to stay off the interstate highways if you want to increase the tire mileage. Asphalt is kinder to the tire than concrete.

Offline WayneE

• Mad Post Whore
  • Habitual linestepper
Sport Touring on a Busa
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2003, 07:16:00 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by FSTOUR:
The Busa makes a fine sport touring bike.  Actually a great super sport touring bike.  I have an 01 with over 20,000 miles now and they all have been ridden two up.

My wife doesn't like the seating position on the 'Busa.  She wants something more neutral, for her butt and her feet.  I was thinking that something along the lines of an Yammie FJR or Honda ST would be the ticket for us.  Still fun enough, but a lot more comfortable for her.

Offline FJayR

• Apprentice Post Whore
Sport Touring on a Busa
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2003, 09:39:00 AM »
WayneE and 2002busa, I own a FJR1300 and just love the comfort, tourque and power. It handles very well on the corners and can cruise at most illegal speeds. It is much more comfortable than my copper Busa. Your wives would love riding on this machine. My girl friend thinks the comfort level is wonderful.
FJayR

Offline kkesler

• Rider
    • http://www.keslers.net
Sport Touring on a Busa
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2003, 01:51:00 PM »
Tire definitely a weakness.  I have considered buying another rim and mounting up a sport/touring tire for road trips.  

Does anyone out there run sport touring tires?

Tweak
WERA 334

Offline kick

• Post Whore
Sport Touring on a Busa
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2003, 04:58:00 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Tweak:
Tire definitely a weakness.  I have considered buying another rim and mounting up a sport/touring tire for road trips.  

Does anyone out there run sport touring tires?

Tweak

I thought about it but I really don't think it would make much difference in mileage.  The 'busa eats tires and you can't change that.  I don't really mind